Our History

History of Unity of Madison

Unity of Madison began as a study group in 1955 and initially met in private homes and later at the YWCA Chapel.  The building at 4607 Winnequah Road in Monona was purchased in 1974. 

Services were held at the Winnequah Road location until the current building at 601 Tompkins Drive was purchased in 1992. 

In 1995, the 6-room house next door at 705 Tompkins Drive was purchased and served as the church office until Sept 2018.
 

Here is our detailed history:

1955              Roland and Edith Diehl started a study group in Madison.

1955-1957     Rev. Marguerite McAdams was the minister; services were held in homes.

1959-1962     Rev. Ferne Mack was minister; office was on Gorham; services held at YWCA chapel.

1961               February 14, Unity Center of Madison was incorporated.

1963-1966    The church was dormant and served by neighboring ministries.

1967               Revs. Phil and Mary Stovin were the ministers.

1968               Rev. Terry Haven was the minister.

1969               Rev. Dorothy Paul was minister; services held at YMCA.

1970               Rudy Leidig was the minister.

1972-1975     Rev. Adelaide Diblee was the minister.

1974               Purchase of 4607 Winnequah Road in Monona.

1975-1984      Rev. Duane Hardy was minister.

1978                Ara Helen McDonald became a  Licensed Unity Teacher (LUT).

1979                Lois Jensen became a LUT.

1981-84          Unity of Madison sponsored Robert Schuller, Leo Buscaglia & Zig Ziglar for Madison visits.

1985-1989       Rev. Eunice Chagnon minister until 1989 when she left to form Unity Church of Peace, on the west side of  Madison. It is no longer in operation.  Her husband, Spence Chagnon was a LUT.

1986                 February 14 was Unity of Madison's 25th anniversary.

1990-1991       Dr. Wanda Beddinghouse served from Fall 1990 - April 1991.

1991-1992       Bill Clarke was a “supply” minister, filling interim duties July 1991- August 1992.

1992                 Purchase of 601 Tompkins Dr as dedicated church home, move in July 1992.

1992-2000       Rev. Roger Goodwin served as minister from August 1992 until 2000.

1995                 Purchase of 705 Tompkins Drive next door as church office.

2000-2001       Interim Consultant Jeanette Monterio served as minister.

2001-2003       Rev. Ted Schneider was minister from October 2001 - April 2003.

2003-2004       Rev. Joy Young, Interim Minister, served from June 2003 - Fall 2004.

2004-2014       Rev. Marshall Norman served from November 2004 until December 2014.

2011                 February 14 was Unity of Madison's 50th anniversary.

2012                 Barry Roberts became a Licensed Unity Teacher (LUT). 

2014                 Full Sanctuary remodel and front lawn Labyrinth installation.

2015                 Rev. Marty Newman, Transitional Ministry Consultant, served February-August 2015. 

2015-2018       Rev. Judy Pilat served from November 2015 until October 2018.

2018                 Sale of house at 705 Tompkins Dr (served as church office) Sept 2018.

2018                 Remodel of Upper & Lower Levels of church building (Oct-Dec 2018).

2018-19           Interim Transitional Minister Rev. Carla McClellan  (Nov - )